Are you looking for a research topic centered on health psychology for a paper, experiment, or other class project? Health psychology is a rapidly growing subfield focused on the psychological factors that influence health and wellness. The following are just a few different topics that you might want to explore:
- Explore some of the psychological strategies that can help people adhere to a diet and exercise program. Is there any one strategy that is more effective than others?
- Look at different techniques that can be used to increase the likelihood that people will use safety equipment such as seat belts and bicycle helmets. What type of public safety program would you devise to encourage the use of these products?
- What can mental health and medical professionals do to help people cope in the immediate aftermath of a disaster? Are there any strategies that result in better long-term outcomes?
- Explore how increased public awareness of infant safety (such as placing an infant on his back to sleep, removing pillows and other objects from the sleeping area, etc.) have influenced the occurrence of SIDS or "crib death." Has the number of SIDS-related deaths gone down? Why do some parents ignore these sleep safety guidelines?
- Compare and contrast different approaches to smoking cessation. Which strategies are the most effective?
- Research the prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) among veterans. What factors contribute to whether an individual experiences PTSD? What mental health interventions are most effective at treating this disorder?
- Assess current approaches to childhood immunizations. Why do some parents choose not to immunize their children? How does this impact public health? What can health professionals do to increase the likelihood that kids are immunized?
- Take a closer look at careers in health psychology. What do health psychologists do? What type of career opportunities are available within this specialty area?
Before You Begin
Before you pick a topic for any paper, experiment, or project, there are a few important things you should consider. First, is your topic appropriate for the assignment? Many instructors have very specific guidelines about what they are looking for with regards to a particular project. Once you have an idea in mind, take the time to run the topic by your instructor. Getting approval before you begin can save a lot of hassle and headaches later on.